Monday, October 1, 2007

The Bobkast: V.4- I DIG YOUR MIND

"I'm Dead and I'm Perfectly Content"

Inspired by my longing for autumn in New York this mix is concentrated in nostalgic, timeless rock and roll deeply indebted to '60's pop and rock. While much is culled from 2007 releases (Band of Horses, Buffalo Killers, Stars) I tried to blur chronological lines with this podcast by incorporating classick old skoolers like Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, and ferocious '60s garage rockers The Nervous Breakdown (Thanks to Aquarium Drunkard for introducing me to "I DIG YOUR MIND"). At the same time, where would we be without progress. That's why we've got modern retro outfits like The Raveonettes, Buffalo Killers and Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings ripping it up.

The concept for this podcast came after relentlessly listening to The Black Lips. Unfortunatly for better or worse, I decided to leave the Lips off this podcast. But please, please check them out. If you haven't heard them yet they sound like the early Beach Boys raping Iggy Pop with Jan & Dean's guitars, followed by Iggy slicing each one of their peppy So-Cal necks with a broken bottle of Beam, turning the bottle on himself and cutting his chest, consequently using the blood ,and the bottle, to produce a super reverberated slide guitar tone. Yeah, they sounds like that.

PS- Yes the B.O.H song is named after everyones favorite European three-point shooter.

The Bobkast #4: I DIG YOUR MIND
1. Spoon- The Way We Get By
2. The Nervous Breakdown- I DIG YOUR MIND
3. The Rosebuds- Waiting for the Carnival
4. Buffalo Killers- Don't You Ever Think I Cry
5. Band of Horses- Detlef Schrimpf
6. The Kinks- Get Back in Line
7. The Zombies- I Want Her She Wants Me
8. The Kinks- Along Way From Home
9. Tom Waits- (Looking for) The Heart of Saturday Night
10. Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong- Gee, Baby Ain't I Good To You
11. Sharon Jones & the Dap-kings- 100 Days, 100 Nights
12. Candy Payne- By Tommorrow
13. The Raveonettes- Ode to L.A.
14. Charlotte Gainsbourg- The Songs We Sing
15. Stars- Celebrated Gun

Download the fourth BOBKAST here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

15. stars - celebrated gun


is actually

stars - celebration guns